Sunday, May 11, 2008

Afternoon in Petoskey









Greg & I spent a great afternoon in Petoskey this weekend. Petoskey is a quaint small town located on the shores of Lake Michigan's Little Traverse Bay. We ate at Whitecaps restaurant and had the best fish and chips I've ever tasted in my life. The whitefish was encrusted with this cornflake batter and was just very tender and flavorful. From our table we had a great view of Little Traverse Bay, I could have sat there all afternoon looking out at the sparkling blue water.
Petoskey is a great place to shop as well - Grandpa Shorter's was my favorite to pick up things for our log cabin. Another great find was Valerie Thomson's studio and fine art gallery http://www.valeriethomson.com/main.html . There were many impressionistic paintings - quite a few of the local scene in Petoskey. Additionally we found out she paints from photographs for customers. I am so excited about having something so personal painted so beautifully. I will be shooting "across the lake" shots of our log cabin for a painting. After our great finds, we went for a walk at Bayfront Park - the perfect place to view the bay. Petoskey is a great place to spend a Saturday afternoon walking, eating, shopping and enjoying the views.






7 comments:

Christy said...

Petoskey is beautiful. I would like to visit in the fall. My hubby and I have been twice for our anniversary in the summer. The first time we went I didn't even think about it being July 4th time, we checked out of our hotel on the morning of the fourth and didn't get to see the fireworks. The next year I made sure that we saw the fireworks. They were gorgeous out over the bay and to top it off we could see both Petoskey and Bay Harbor's displays.

Shelley said...

Christy - thank you for coming by!I think that seeing the fireworks over that beautiful water would be so great!

Anonymous said...

It sounds good to me too. I like your photography. And thanks for the comments on my bird blog.

Steve sculpts critters said...

Mmmm.
Fish and chips.
I've been stateside a while now, so I'm a jonesing for some fish and chips...
Nice cabin too, it will be good to have a painting of it.

Shelley said...

Hi Abraham - thanks for stopping by - and great name by the way!

Steve - I'm a big fish & chips person and hands down, Whitecaps in Petoskey has the best!

Appalachian Lady said...

Thanks for the tip on places to go in Michigan. The fish and chips sound yummy!

Shelley said...

Eco - you're welcome and thank YOU for your comments!